Monday, January 2, 2012

Resolving.... well, maybe.

If you read my blog post last week at Three Wicked Writers, you know I came home to crazy stink. It turned out to be an okay thing, because I had plans to completely purge my kitchen of carbs. It has nothing to do with new year resolutions and everything to do with being sick of me. I needed a change. There's so much that we can't change in life that sometimes you have to latch onto the things you CAN change.

Considering that my stress level of going to see family this Christmas was high (like astronomical) and I'm a stress eater, I'd managed to shovel in about ten extra pounds. I do mean extra. Because really, I already had too many to begin with.

I'd forgotten how good being on no carbs is! Oh my gosh, it's been like three days and I've already dropped six pounds. That's insanity. But give it another two days and I'll be back to where I started before Christmas. You know, still ridiculously too high for words, but at least back to square one.

Unfortunately, my kids have to go no carb by default. Since they both want to drop a few (their decision, not mine. And yes, the doctor quietly consulted that would be okay), this works out for everyone involved. I do still buy bread for them to eat sandwiches. There is hot cocoa mix in the back storage room when they really crave it, and they are rationing out their stocking treats, also kept in the back storage room. Hey, if it's their food, and if it's out of sight, I won't touch it. It works for me.

I found a recipe book that I've been using, but you know me. I like to modify everything. My doctor told me not to worry about proteins or fat. So all my low carb recipes are modified to allow for those things. Clearly, my doctor is a flavor genius who is also capable of helping this girl to lose some weight.

Is it a New Year's resolution? Nah. Not really. I don't do resolutions, but I do care a lot about feeling better about myself.

Happy New Year, folks!

~Mia

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's awesome you can give up carbs. I like them too much.

Love ya Mia!

Mia Watts said...

"Can" and "want to" are totally different things. ;) I can give them up, but I whimper like a two year old because I love them so. Haaard!